This is something that has made low-carb a lot easier. It is what gets me out of bed in the morning. It is literally one of my favourite foods.
A friend with epilepsy who is on the keto diet for seizure control put me onto an amazing very-low-carb “quiche.” The trick is to use cheese instead of pastry to form the shell.
Basically you line a dish with cheese, pour over eggs and cream, then put more cheese on top, and bake. Quick and easy and makes a big batch that you can keep in the fridge.
Here’s the recipe:
Suits baking dish of approx. 28cm diameter.
- lots of grated cheese (tasty)
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- handful of diced bacon
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- Optional: chopped cooked zucchini, squash, cauliflower etc.
- 10 eggs
- small tub (300mL) thickened cream
- salt and pepper
- generous amount of mixed herbs
- Grease the baking dish with a little butter
- Line the greased dish with cheese
- Put the eggs, cream, salt, pepper, and herbs into a bowl and whisk until combined
- Heat a chunk of butter in a pan, and fry bacon, tomato, and onion
- Distribute fried mixture evenly in baking dish
- Optionally add cooked vegetables
- Pour egg mixture into baking dish
- Top with more grated cheese
- Bake at 180°C for approx 50 mins; keep an eye on it after 30 mins
- Insert a knife into centre to check if cooked
And you end up with...
It’s firm and fluffy and is just as good when fridged and reheated. I’ve been eating it for weeks and I’m not sure I could ever get tired of it. Bon appétit!